Team preview: Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff got knocked out in the first round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament.
But, hey, at least the Golden Lions were in the house.
"It was good to just make the tournament,'' Arkansas-Pine Bluff coach Van Holt said. "Don't get me wrong, we were very disappointed that things didn't go our way. We don't ever want to be satisfied with just making the tournament. But at the same time, considering where our program has been, it was a good accomplishment.
"You've got to get there first before you win it. And that's our goal here at Arkansas-Pine Bluff: win the league and go to the [NCAA] tournament.''
Only the top eight teams qualify for the SWAC Tournament. The Golden Lions had never finished high enough to get an invite. In fact, they had won only 15 games the previous five seasons combined, including a 1-26 mark in 2003-04.
That said, last season's 8-20 mark had to be considered a big step forward.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM