Team preview: Appalachian State
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Appalachian State doubled its win total from the previous year and was two or three baskets from making the league championship game. Not a bad season. But the Mountaineers have made a recent habit of undergoing dramatic swings of fortune, from the bottom of the division to the top, then back down again.
Can coach Houston Fancher keep the Mountaineers on the upswing despite the loss of his top rebounder and two of the top three scorers?
Probably so. Fancher played a lot of guys last year and a lot of them are back, led by star point guard D.J. Thompson (11.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg). He's also added what looks like a quality recruiting class.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM