Insider Intel: Sweet indicators
In Friday's South and Midwest games, follow the early clues to determine each outcome
You can tell a lot from the first five minutes of a basketball game, especially in the Sweet 16, when coaches have had four or five days to prepare for their opponents. The way each team attacks and defends out of the gate should offer strong clues as to how the rest of a game will progress. With that in mind, here are the key factors to watch during the opening minutes of the Sweet 16 games in the South and Midwest regions. To read about the East and West, click here.
North Carolina (1) vs. Gonzaga (4)• Tyler Hansbrough has a score to settle with Josh Heytvelt, and the first few minutes will indicate whether he is up to the task. When these teams met two years ago in Madison Square Garden, Heytvelt dominated Hansbrough with his length, going for 19 points and eight rebounds. Hansbrough scored just nine points, attempting only five shots from the field. Hansbrough will have seen plenty of tape of that matchup and will attempt to reverse that performance. But if Heytvelt has another big game left in him, the Zags could pull off the upset.
• Check out whether Mark Few elects to open with a zone. The other thing he'll no doubt remember from that November 2006 matchup is that North Carolina shot 6-for-26 on 3-pointers and that UNC's top perimeter players -- Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green and Bobby Frasor -- all played that night. Not only might a zone be a way to slow down Lawson if his toe is healthy, but sometimes in a game of this magnitude, a zone can make players uncomfortable, especially if they're forced to rely on jump shots.To find out about Oklahoma vs. Syracuse, Louisville vs. Arizona and Michigan State vs. Kansas, please sign in to ESPN Insider (or register with the service).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 7 Duke regroups to escape vs. Clemson
- Iowa State ousts Kansas in Big 12 semifinals
- Syracuse falls to NC State in ACC quarters
- Napier, UConn fend off Cincy to reach final
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Men's Arizona Wildcats Cardinal 'Cardiac Cats' Basketball T-Shirt