Eight steps to a champion
Following the stats trail to determine a winner
Everyone has their own method for picking their tournament winners: toughest mascot, better school colors, a gut feeling. But, believe it or not, there may be a more reliable way to determine this year's winner than by throwing darts while blindfolded.
When analyzing the past 20 NCAA tournaments, it turns out there are some common threads between all the winners. Using a set of eight criteria, we've narrowed down the tournament field from 65 to two. Each of the past 20 winners meets the entire set of criteria laid out (with one exception, which is explained below).
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president: Pay-for-play isn't coming
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Wells sparks Maryland past Boston College
- Former Hoya Whittington intends to transfer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
INSIDER TOURNEY TIPS
- adidas Men's Akron Zips Navy On-Court Practice T-Shirt