Team preview: Jackson State
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2006-07 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 2006-07 edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
Jackson State coach Tevester Anderson has a simple recipe for SWAC success -- one cup guards, add a half teaspoon of guards, and throw in a pinch of, you know, guards.
"This league is similar to the Ohio Valley Conference," said Anderson, who coached OVC stalwart Murray State for five years before arriving in Jackson. "These conferences are guard conferences. The team that has the most guards, the better guards, generally is there at the end. Southern had the best guards in the conference last year. They won."
Anderson's Jackson teams haven't been there at the end yet, and the league title has eluded him so far. For three seasons, the Tigers have bumped into semifinal obstacles -- like Southern, who put them out of last season's SWAC final four -- but his preferred blend (or "T-Ball," as he likes to call it) has resulted in a fair number of league wins. The Tigers haven't finished lower than fourth in the league on his watch, and they've always been up-tempo and exciting.
Last year's backcourt-heavy team put together the best non-conference record in the SWAC (4-8), defeating Southlanders Stephen F. Austin and Texas-San Antonio, as well as Atlantic Sun co-champion Lipscomb. The Tigers tied for fourth in the SWAC and led the league in guard-like statistics -- steals (9.1 per game) and lowest turnover rate (19.6 percent). They were also the second speediest team in the SWAC, averaging 77.1 possessions per 40 minutes.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM