Team preview: Georgia
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2006-07 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 2006-07 edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
Blue Ribbon spoke with all 12 Southeastern Conference coaches over the summer, and 11 of them singled out Georgia as an emerging team to be reckoned with in the league this season.
The 12th coach declined to offer an opinion. Dennis Felton wants his team to do its talking on the floor. For the first time since he inherited the mess left behind by former coach Jim Harrick, Felton has all the ingredients of a team that will have plenty to say -- this season and in the years to come. After dealing with the stigma of an NCAA investigation and subsequent sanctions, a shortage of players, no experience, and no size at various times in his first three seasons, Felton now has a deep, balanced team that, while it may not yet be able to stand toe-to-toe with Florida or LSU, has a legitimate chance to return to a postseason tournament.
Whether that tournament is the NIT or the NCAA will be determined by the play of Georgia's frontcourt -- bolstered by a two-man recruiting class that brought some much-needed height and bulk -- but more on those newcomers later.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM