Team preview: Fairleigh Dickinson
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2006-07 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 2006-07 edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
The top of the mountain in the NEC is a tough place to stay. It's even harder to earn a repeat trip to the NCAA Tournament.
The Knights, who won the NEC's regular-season league title last season, became the latest victim of the "Conference Curse" when they came up a game short of a second straight NCAA appearance, falling to Monmouth in the conference championship game.
FDU's loss extended the league's streak to 13 years since it had a team make back-to-back tournament trips. It also left the Knights slightly miffed about not earning an at-large bid for its 20-win season, even though mid-major conferences rarely send more than one team to NCAAs.
"Winning the regular-season championship is obviously more significant than winning the NEC Tournament," said Green, comparing the three-round tournament to an 18-game league schedule.
FDU did receive an invitation to the NIT, where it lost to Manhattan in the first round, 80-77.
The road back to the NCAAs won't be any easier for the Knights this season. In fact, it might be rather difficult after losing NEC Player of the Year Chad Timberlake (15.2 ppg) along with fellow senior Gordon Klaiber (14.9 ppg).
But Green already knew both players would be gone. The big offseason loss was 7-0 senior center Andrea Crosariol, who skipped his final year of eligibility to play professional overseas.
"Now I know how Roy Williams and Jim Calhoun feel [when they lose underclassmen]," Green said
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
- Creighton's McDermott surpasses 3,000 pts
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM