Team preview: Bucknell
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2006-07 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 2006-07 edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
After back-to-back Patriot League titles and two wins in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, a lot of folks around the league are asking -- what can Bucknell do for an encore?
Last year's Bison were a seasoned bunch that returned all five starters from the squad that made league history with the ESPY winning upset of Kansas in the first round of the Big Dance. Given all the pieces that were in place, Bucknell's 14-0 run through conference play was not a big surprise, even though no team had ever gone unbeaten in the Patriot League.
This year, things are a little different. Gone are two three-time all-league performers, last season's Patriot League Player of the Year Charles Lee and Kevin Bettencourt, the school's all-time three-point shooting leader and the 10th best career scorer in conference history.
Those two leave some big holes to fill, yet entering the 2006-2007 season, the Bison are still considered the Patriot League favorite by people who know basketball
"Until somebody knocks them off, Bucknell is still the team to beat," Colgate coach Emmett Davis said.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM