Team preview: American
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2006-07 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 2006-07 edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
One thing is certain at American this. Jeff Jones is the only coach in the league who won't be playing any freshmen.
Not even in mop-up time. He can't. There's not a single freshman on the roster.
The Eagles lost just one player to graduation -- seldom used guard Craig Weinstein -- and his spot will be filled by 6-9 junior Cornelio Guibunda, who sat out last season after transferring from Georgetown.
That leaves Jones with what might be the most experienced roster in the league. Eleven guys who played in at least 20 games last season are back. Ten of the 11 have starting experience.
Add Guibunda to the mix and you begin to see what might be Jones' biggest challenge -- deciding who sits and who plays.
"It is going to be crowded," Jones said. "There are going to be some tough decisions we will have to make in terms of our starting lineup and minutes."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
- Cuse closes regular season with rout of FSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM