Lots of West Coast flavor in the Rushmore Four
Fran Fraschilla defends his picks for the pre-1980 players' Rushmore and details who just missed the cut.
Originally Published: April 25, 2006By Fran Fraschilla | Special to ESPN Insider
- I was born in 1958 and became a basketball fan around 1971, so writing a column about the best players in the pre-ESPN era is like a historian writing about Roosevelt or Lincoln. It requires a lot of research. The pre-ESPN players that I remember for their college greatness I saw, for the most part, during and at the end of their storied NBA careers. Nevertheless, my passion for college basketball and my sense of the game's history serves me well as I carve my "Rushmore Four."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com