What can be done to protect the college game?
Originally Published: May 15, 2008By Jay Bilas | ESPN.com
I love basketball. I don't like the basketball business. Basketball, from the junior circuit on, has too many elements of a dirty business, and there are too few people willing to stand up and protest the negative influences in the game.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- No. 7 Duke regroups to escape vs. Clemson
- Iowa State ousts Kansas in Big 12 semifinals
- Syracuse falls to NC State in ACC quarters
- Napier, UConn fend off Cincy to reach final
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo received thousands of dollars in cash, clothes and other benefits in apparent violation of NCAA rules while he was still in high school and during his freshman year in college, a former Mayo associate told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."
News• USC self-imposes postseason ban, forfeits wins
• Source: Mayo talks to U.S. Attorney
• Report: Floyd gave money to Mayo handler
• Johnson question by NCAA, USC, Pac-10
• Mayo hires agent who represents LeBron
• Attorney: Feds investigating funds in Mayo case
• Official probing credit card use
• Mayo arrives at pre-draft camp, pleads innocence
• Mayo cuts ties with agent
• Report: USC to say it didn't know of impropriety
• Wolves not turned off by allegations against Mayo
• Report: NBPA investigating agent dealings
• Report: Ex-Mayo associate to cooperate
• Report: Mayo's HS can keep titles
• NCAA to investigate Mayo with "new information"
• O.J. Mayo denies receiving money, gifts
Video• Watch: Mayo pre-draft workout in Chicago
• Watch: USC campus reacts to Mayo allegations
• Watch: O.J. Mayo, others react to the OTL report
• Watch: "Outside the Lines" investigation
Analysis• Katz: What's next in the Mayo investigations?
• Chad Ford: How "bad" is Mayo?
• Stephen A. Smith: What's the big deal?
• Katz: Mayo projected into the lottery
• Bilas: What can be done to help?
• Keown: Mayo demonstrates NBA rule a disaster
• Katz: Academic issue with one-and-dones
• TrueHoop: NBA buzzing about Mayo
• Ford: Mayo's draft stock shouldn't change
• Gottlieb: Cheating rewards outweigh the risks
• Vitale: Mayo mess proves one-and-done is a joke
• Forde: USC should've known better about Mayo
• Naqi: Guillory tied to Mayo, agent Bill Duffy
Audio• Myles Brand says he favors a two-year rule
• Dave Telep: Mayo isn't the only one
• Forde: USC has no excuse for not knowing
SportsNation• Chat wrap with OTL reporter Kelly Naqi
• Chat wrap with Pat Forde