Love him or hate him, hard to deny Knight's greatness
Originally Published: February 6, 2008By Jay Bilas | ESPN.com
Bob Knight is an American original. Say his name, and you will get a strong and passionate response. Some like him, and some don't. But there are no fence-sitters with regard to Knight. You know where you stand on him, and you know where you stand with him.
On Sunday night, Knight decided to resign as head coach at Texas Tech. He had already decided this would be his last season at Texas Tech before handing the reins over to his son, Pat, the head coach designate. After a difficult season in which his young team had shown remarkable inconsistency, Knight saw too little for himself to gain but a few more wins and more frustration, and too little for Pat Knight to gain by waiting several more months before taking over.
Jamie Squire/Getty ImagesTo fully appreciate Bob Knight, you have to take the good and the bad.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Ducks overcome Henderson, Ole Miss in OT
- No. 24 San Diego St. rallies by Washington
- Buffs' buzzer-beater stuns No. 6 Jayhawks
- McConnell, No. 2 Wildcats squeak by UNLV
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SUN SETS ON KNIGHT
Bob Knight, the winningest men's coach in Division I basketball, has decided to step down as coach of Texas Tech. The mercurial Knight won over 900 games in 42 years at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech.
News• Knight joins ESPN as analyst for NCAA Tourney
• Baylor beats Tech in Pat Knight's debut
• Red Raiders say coaching transition will be easy
• Knight resigns, hands Texas Tech reins to son
• Katz: Pat Knight now in charge at Texas Tech
Audio• Coach K shares thoughts about Knight
• Former player Alford discusses The General
• Pat Knight ready for first game
Features• What they're saying about resignation
Analysis• Bilas: Hard to argue with his success
• Dinich: Knight could have gone out on own terms
• Keown: Knight kept it interesting
• Forde: No pass for Knight resigning midseason
• Vitale: No big shock that Knight walks away
• McKinnis: Thoughts on Bobby Knight
Multimedia• Bob Knight speaks about resignation
• Outside The Lines: Knight Vision
• Zoom Gallery: A look at Knight's career