Keep an eye on Nevada, Xavier
Fox also has a fine point guard in Ramon Sessions, who is an excellent passer with a great floor game. Sessions has really improved his shot, and is very reliable from the free-throw line. Marcelus Kemp is a great athlete who can attack the rim and really run in transition, and Kyle Shiloh is one of the best on-ball defenders in the West, if not the nation. Nevada's most improved player has to be Denis Ikovlev, the Ukrainian senior. Ikovlev did not play much last season, but can hit open shots and seems to be playing more instinctively and with a free mind, not thinking his way through every situation. I also really like JaVale McGee. He has a lot of raw talent, is bouncy and athletic, and has a chance to be very good in Fox's system. I think that Nevada could be a Sweet 16 team or better with the right draw.
• An undervalued team thus far this season is Xavier out of the Atlantic 10. Last season, the Musketeers were a point guard away from being really good, and this season, Sean Miller has former Oklahoma point guard Drew Lavender, who is a really solid floor leader. Lavender handles the ball and gets it into an operating area, and has been really coachable.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Unbeatens Kentucky, Virginia still atop AP poll
- Wichita St. guard arrested on suspicion of DUI
- Coach K gets 1,000th win; Duke tops St. John's
- No. 8 Irish need block in OT to thwart NC State