Take me home, country road
As a result, both Marshall and West Virginia battle each other for the top two or three players in the state and are then forced to fill their scholarship needs with kids out of Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio and Maryland, just to name a few. Chad Pennington, former Marshall quarterback and current New York Jets starter, is from Tennessee. Jacksonville Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich, also a former Herd player, is out of Washington, D.C.
A few years back, one of the best quarterbacks on the East Coast was J.R. House out of Charleston. He chose to play baseball instead, but is now enrolled at West Virginia and is a 25-year-old freshman trying to revive his career in football.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- Source: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's West Virginia Mountaineers Blue Football Weight Room Legend T-Shirt