ESPN 150 features sleeper prospects
- One of the more beneficial and enjoyable aspects of watching and evaluating close to 3,000 game films annually is being able to identify and often expose diamonds in the rough. These are the athletes who have slipped through the cracks and currently lack the national attention other players have garnered at their respected positions.
Most of these prospects lack a few of the sought-after, generalized traits that often characterize top collegiate prospects. Typically, their simple blend of size and speed do not blow away the competition on the national-combine circuit. The computed numbers adjacent to their names are sent to every college football program in the country and can take precedence over a prospect's play in games. As a result, their videos can actually land on the bottom of the back pile.
We try to recognize football players -- prospects who possess intangibles that you cannot measure or accurately grade. They are athletes who will simply continue to produce at the next level, despite current or potential (supposed) physical limitations. Some players who we refer to as "late bloomers" lack the measurables as 16-year-old high school juniors, but when evaluating with a keener and more patient eye, one can see great upside with continued physical development.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Rockets turn on burners in 3rd, rout Pacers
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2008 ESPN 150
More than 2,500 high school prospects will receive Division I football scholarships, but only the best of the best make the ESPN 150.
• Julio Jones tops ESPN 150 | ESPN 150 rankings
• Work ethic pushes No. 1 prospect Jones
• Will Hill's Jersey escape
• Luginbill: Elite WRs, speedy D define '08 class
• Special ESPN 150 chat wrap: Luginbill
• Tucker: ESPN 150 sleepers you need to know
• Haubert: Ten players on the cusp