New millenium quarterbacks
For decades, scouts and coaches have been duped by becoming enamored with physical tools only to find out the player lacks savvy, instincts, anticipation and/or mental toughness. These are traits that don't show up in a workout environment or combine setting and that bring to mind guys like Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch. It's not all about arm strength and size.
The quarterback must have a great feel for the game, excellent peripheral vision and an innate sense of the offensive philosophy. Perhaps most of all, quarterbacks must have mental toughness.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Sterling, Ballmer have 'friendly' talk
- Pettine eyes 3rd preseason game to name QB
- Suns president expects PG Bledsoe to return
- Scolari out, Brazil brings Dunga back for '18
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Michigan Wolverines #98 Blue Replica Football Jersey