Dion Waiters should study ...
Here's a veteran the Cavaliers' rookie shooting guard should seek to emulate
Originally Published: April 12, 2013By David Thorpe | Scouts Inc.
Being athletic is not the same as playing athletically. Waiters has considerable athleticism, but often chooses to remain on the perimeter to take long shots. He can do so because he is a good shooter, naturally. But guys like Westbrook, who could not shoot growing up, had to find ways to impact games that required less skill. That's why, even now as a better shooter, Westbrook still spends time hanging around the rim looking for offensive rebounds or slashing to the basket hoping to get a pass thrown to him.
Which veterans should the rookies study? To check out David Thorpe's latest analysis on the rookie class, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- NBA putting its social media handle on ball
- Ginobili has stress fracture, to skip World Cup
- Sources: Love trade talks narrowed to Cavs
- Riley says Heat OK after LeBron's departure
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Oklahoma City Thunder Russell Westbrook #0 Alternate Navy Replica Jersey