Picking the All-Defensive Team
Updated: April 12, 2013, 1:17 PM ETBy Kevin Pelton | ESPN Insider
Getty ImagesMemphis' Marc Gasol and Indiana's Roy Hibbert have anchored the NBA's top two defenses this year.More than any award, with the possible exception of MVP, the All-Defensive Team is really a team award. Both strong individual defenders and a good system are necessary for a quality defense, and the same defender can look far better or far worse depending on players around him. So it's no surprise that six of the 10 players on my All-Defensive first and second teams come from three teams, all of them elite at the defensive end. And it should also be no surprise that the top two contenders among a deep field of Defensive Player of the Year candidates come from the league's top two defenses.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kings owner: Coach must be 'jazz director'
- Bucks' Parker lost for season to torn ACL
- Warriors' streak ends at 16 as Griz too much
- Westbrook, KD fuel OKC's 7th straight victory
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Warriors' Run Ends At 16
- In a battle of the NBA's best, Memphis put an end to Golden State's franchise-best win streak.