Is Carmelo a legit MVP candidate?
Knicks star had huge season, but his team impact doesn't rival that of elites
- Jim McIsaac/Getty ImagesCarmelo Anthony leads the NBA with 28.7 PPG. But does he warrant MVP consideration?
Early in the season, Carmelo Anthony was being bandied about as an MVP candidate. But at this point, virtually no one is suggesting that he should actually win the award. The ESPN Forecast Panel placed Anthony fourth, with one first-place vote. If the MVP voting matches the Forecast results, it will be Anthony's first top-five finish. MVP award or not, it's been a banner season for the Knicks' top player.
Anthony always has been a lightning rod for a classic NBA debate: Is his scoring-based game really all that valuable? In other words, should Anthony have ever been mentioned in the MVP conversation to begin with?
To read more about whether Carmelo Anthony should be in the MVP discussion, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
- Rockets turn on burners in 3rd, rout Pacers
- D'Antoni, Lakers' brass talk state of team
- Noah, Anthony decline to discuss 'gossip'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Kids' New York Knicks Primary Logo Royal Long Sleeve Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index