Five most surprising starts
Varejao, Redick, Mayo among unfamiliar names putting up big numbers
- David Liam Kyle/NBAE via Getty Images)Cleaning the boards like a vacuum, Anderson Varejao is off to a surprisingly strong start.
Of course it's early, and anyone who makes season-long proclamations based on one or two weeks of basketball is being reckless. That said, there have been some interesting developments so far; and not just in New York and Los Angeles.
Just as the surprisingly undefeated New York Knicks have started hot as a team, there are individuals who have stunned us with their unusually strong play. Of course, James Harden probably tops the list for many, averaging a league-best 30 points over his first four games. However, here are five other guys you might not have thought of who've been surprisingly great over the first few games of the season.
The question is, how long can they keep up this pace?
To read more of Chris Broussard's five most surprising starts to the season, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Lakers talk state of team after rout
- Sources: Knicks, Jackson discussed coaching
- Noah declines to talk about Carmelo 'gossip'
- Grizzlies' Randolph (flu) returns to lineup
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Los Angeles Clippers Pattern Logo Red T-Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index