Are elite 2s going extinct?
#NBArank shows a serious dearth of shooting guards in Top 100
- Isaac Baldizon/NBAE/Getty ImagesAre elite shooting guards like Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade on their way to extinction?
With #NBArank wrapping up on Thursday, it offered an opportunity to take a look at a contingent of players whom we often refer to as "elite" or among of the best in the league -- the Top 100.
Taking a look at the top 100 players in the NBA is significant mostly because 100 is a nice, round three-digit number, and we like lists with 100 items on them. It's also cool for these guys to be known as one of the best 100 people on the planet in their field.
But as arbitrary as the number 100 might be, it also serves as a convenient stopping point for us to look around and examine the makeup of the NBA's upper class. And when you look at the members of #NBArank's "Super 100," you might notice something:
The elite shooting guard appears to be a dying breed.
To read more of why Tom Haberstroh says elite 2's are an endangered species in the NBA, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
- Rockets turn on burners in 3rd, rout Pacers
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
- Noah, Anthony decline to discuss 'gossip'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant #24 Black T-Shirt
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index