What Green brings to Boston
Versatile forward can score and defend LeBron, Melo and Deng
- Steve Babineau/NBAE/Getty ImagesVersatile Jeff Green is back after missing last season. He could play a pivotal role for the Celtics.
There are bigger stories, sure; Dwight Howard and Steve Nash heading to the Los Angeles Lakers; Ray Allen leaving the Celtics for the Miami Heat; Jeremy Lin taking his talents to the Houston Rockets. In terms of pure sentimentality, though, all pale in comparison to what Green, ranked No. 174 by ESPN.com's #NBArank panel of experts, has endured the past nine months.
You probably know bits and pieces of it by now -- Green, a versatile 26-year-old forward acquired in a well-debated trade that sent center Kendrick Perkins to the Oklahoma City Thunder, was forced to miss all of last season while recovering from heart surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm.
Now recovered, Green is ready to make his comeback, the beneficiary of a new $36 million deal that will keep him in Boston for four more years.
A truly remarkable story. This is where the warm and fuzzy part ends, however.
To read more of how Joe Kaiser thinks versatile forward Jeff Green will help the Boston Celtics this season, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- 76ers lose 17th straight at hands of Knicks
- Heat seal playoff spot behind Wade, LeBron
- Griffin pours in 37 as Clips take 8th in row
- Source: 'Looks like' Phil will take Knicks' job
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Brooklyn Nets Kevin Garnett Replica Revolution 30 White Basketball Jersey
ESPN.COM PARTNER: NBA.COM
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index