Breaking down five future All-Stars
Here's what they do well and what needs improvement to make the squad in 2013
- David Dow/Getty ImagesIrving took MVP honors in the Rising Stars Challenge. Will he eventually do it in the All-Star Game?
The NBA's annual All-Star Game often serves as a barometer for which players' careers are on the rise and which ones are on the decline. Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan are conspicuously absent from this year's rosters, and perhaps names such as Paul Pierce, Steve Nash, Tony Parker and Joe Johnson might soon follow suit.As these veteran stars slowly move out of the picture, it's only natural to start looking for the up-and-comers who will soon take their place. Friday night's NBA Rising Stars Challenge offered a peek at some young players who might fill those sizable shoes and showcase their talents in the 2013 All-Star Game.
Here's a scouting breakdown of five of the most likely candidates, what skills they possess now and what they need to improve to be part of next year's midseason gala.
1. DeMarcus Cousins, C, Sacramento Kings[+] EnlargeFernando Medina/NBAE/Getty ImagesCousins is a monster in the low post and offensive glass.
Scouting report: Cousins currently is averaging 16.4 ppg and 11.3 rpg. A rookie first-teamer last season, Cousins has the size and skill to be an All-Star. This is best seen in the low post. He commands deep position in the paint and can score over most NBA bigs. Cousins is an excellent passer for a big man, averaging 2.1 apg in his career.
He also is a monster on the offensive glass, averaging 4.5 offensive boards per game. Defensively he works hard and contests opponents' shots, but he is not an elite shot-blocker despite his height.
To read the full article here, become an ESPN Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Clips extend streak to 7 behind Griffin, Paul
- Source: Phil considers Knicks front-office job
- Parker, Ginobili combine for 54 in Spurs' win
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Minnesota Timberwolves Authentic Practice Blue Adjustable Hat
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index