How do coaches handle tanking?
Carlesimo, Johnson and Karl talk white-flag trades, rooks and All-Star Game
Insider once again presents "Coaches Corner," a panel discussion with a collection of ESPN's former NBA coaches that tackles some of the current topics in the NBA. Every month, we'll gather a panel of three or four from our roster of coaches that includes Hubie Brown, Doug Collins, P.J. Carlesimo, Avery Johnson, George Karl and Jeff Van Gundy.
We asked three coaches five questions, and here's what they had to say:
1. With all this tanking talk, how often are head coaches on the same page with GMs?
Carlesimo: Tanking is an insult to coaches and players. It's disturbing what's going on and how much that's been talked about. There are GMs that put a lot of stock in what coaches say, and others who think they know better. Owners who think they know better and don't care what the coaches think. But Doug Collins once joked when coaches and GMs are hired, their contracts should be tied to each other. If that were the case they'd get on the same page pretty quickly.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Blazers send Spurs to 2nd straight 3OT loss
- Rondo 'dying to get another ring' with Mavs
- Pierce: Wizards need to 'build better habits'
- Thunder squeak past ice-cold Kobe, Lakers