Picking West All-Star reserves
In a deep conference, some deserving All-Star nods will get left out
Before they begin voting for All-Star reserves, some advice to Western Conference coaches: good luck. Despite injuries that have thinned the ranks of contenders in recent weeks, the West features more deserving All-Stars than roster spots -- especially with one of them going to Kobe Bryant, who was voted a starter despite being limited to six games by injury.
Traditionally, 10 wins above replacement is the threshold for All-Stars by my WARP metric. No fewer than 17 West players are on pace to reach that mark, and winnowing that group down to 12 players is no fun. But here's my effort to do so, relying on a combination of statistical performance to date, scouting and track record.
To read more of who Kevin Pelton picked for the All-Star reserves, become an Insider today.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
- Sources: Clips star Griffin has back fracture
- Bulls' Rose: Confidence 'through the roof'
- NBPA taps 1st big league female union chief
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NBA ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Houston Rockets Dwight Howard #12 Gametime White T-Shirt