Finding the perfect mate
Which superstar shines brightest next to King James? "LeBron Rating" reveals all.
- David Liam Kyle/Getty ImagesThough stars on their own, James and Bosh would make an especially formidable tandem.The conference finals are under way, but let's be honest: The biggest story in the NBA is LeBron James' upcoming free-agency tour. Nothing less than the future of the league is at stake. OK, that might be a bit extreme, but you can argue that a player of his stature has never been available at such a young age. With that in mind, Insider brings you LeBron Week, a five-part look at every aspect of James' decision. First up, John Hollinger examines the best possible sidekick for LeBron.
LeBron James hits free agency in six weeks, and we've read a lot of tea leaves about which landing spots would work best for him. But today, it's time to turn the analysis on its head: Which players would benefit most from teaming up with LeBron?
For the purposes of brevity and sanity, I'm restricting the debate to star players who could plausibly team up with LeBron next year. Sure, Kobe Bryant would make a great teammate for King James, but I don't see that one as being terribly realistic.
Instead, let's look at what, statistically, might make a player a good fit with LeBron and then work backward to determine which ones possess the most positive attributes.
In order, here are the most important criteria:
To read John Hollinger's ranking of LeBron's potential superstar teammates as derived from his new LeBron Rating metric, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Harden scores 41, rallies Rockets for OT win
- Noah, Augustin lead Bulls over Heat in OT
- Meeks erupts for 42 as Lakers stun Thunder
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
LeBron Week on ESPN Insider
Some of ESPN Insider's brightest basketball minds break down LeBron James' offseason future from every angle.
May 17: Running Mates
John Hollinger ranks James' best potential teammates with his "LeBron Rating."
May 18: Building around LeBron
David Thorpe outlines the system and types of players LeBron should have at his disposal.
May 19: Out of his league
Ric Bucher argues that while every team wants James, The Player, no team should want James, The GM.
May 20: Cleveland Rocked
Peter Keating forecasts what would happen to the Cavs and Cleveland if LeBron left town.
May 21: The right fit for the King
Chris Broussard ranks LeBron's top five options in free agency.
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index