Hawks will be grounded
Atlanta leads a list of playoff teams likely to regress next season
- Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesJosh Smith is shining in the playoffs, but he might not be in Atlanta next season.
Last Friday, we took a look at five lottery teams on the rise which could make the playoffs next season. As those teams improve, inevitably some of the teams currently in the playoffs must go the opposite direction. Instead of looking just at teams which could slip out of the postseason picture, we've expanded our list to look at the playoff teams in order of likelihood of having their record drop off during the 2011-12 season.
Why they'll slip: While the Hawks won 44 games they were outscored on the season, and point differential is a better predictor of future record than wins and losses are.
To read more about why the Hawks, as well as the Spurs, Celtics and Mavericks, are likely to slip next season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- 76ers lose 17th straight at hands of Knicks
- Heat seal playoff spot behind Wade, LeBron
- Source: 'Looks like' Phil will take Knicks' job
- Return of Clippers' Crawford still uncertain
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Atlanta Hawks Navy Structured Adjustable Hat
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index