For the children
Bill Walton discusses why the Stan Van Gundy decision was the right one for him to make.
- It's the saddest of tales, really and the toughest part of our jobs. When Stan Van Gundy said "ENOUGH" earlier this week and stood down so that he could spend any time at all with his family, he answered the hardest question that each of us face every day.
It was even tougher that nobody seemed to believe that any of it was true.
But when you make the decision to commit to this life you really have no idea whatsoever the scope of what you're getting into. And every time you walk out that door to leave for who knows how long and have to say goodbye to the children left behind, you also have no clue how much pain and heartache is involved as the youngsters develop reflex mechanisms of their own to block out the struggles they face of a life without their Dad.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
- Rockets turn on burners in 3rd, rout Pacers
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
- Bucks' Mayo banned 1 game for hit to throat
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NBA Home
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Knicks
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Toronto Raptors
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Bobcats
- Miami Heat
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Heat Index