Yao a giant among oversized centers
Yao Ming's retirement seemed inevitable from the moment the Rockets announced he'd be out for the rest of the 2010-11 season. Nonetheless, it brings a tinge of sadness with it because of all the many "what if" questions it brings up. Most obvious among them, of course, is what he might have been if he'd never been hurt -- Yao was the best center in the league in 2006-07, his last fully healthy season, and was only 28 when he saw his last substantial game action in the 2009 playoffs.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Gasol, Griz overcome Spurs in 3OT thriller
- Sources: Celtics, Mavs talking Rondo trade
- Hawks send Cavaliers to 'embarrassing' loss
- Harden plays spoiler in overtime at Denver
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Starring Woes
- Former running mates LeBron James and Dwyane Wade shared in frustration Wednesday with their teams' plights.