Hollinger's Insider Gems: Feb. 23, 2009
John Hollinger gives us five observations for Monday
Updated: February 23, 2009, 1:47 PM ETBy John Hollinger | ESPN.com
1. Should we even count stats against the Clippers at this point? L.A.'s shambolic D reached another low yesterday when Portland's Steve Blake lit them up for 14 assists in the first quarter. That set an NBA record for assists in a first quarter, and by the end of the stanza the Blazers had a 22-point lead and were cruising to victory. In three games since the All-Star break, the Paper Clips have surrendered 140, 142 and 116 points in three losses by a combined 92 points. They gave up 57.8 percent shooting in those games, and subjectively their effort was just as pathetic as the numbers make it seem.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Aldridge's surprise return suits Blazers in win
- Waiters: Not scapegoat for Cavs' early issues
- SVG on Jennings injury: 'Doesn't look good'
- Cuban: Fan vote shows ASG system 'broken'