Hollinger's Insider Gems: Feb. 6, 2009
John Hollinger gives us five observations for Friday.
Updated: February 6, 2009, 2:40 PM ETBy John Hollinger | ESPN.com
1. Thursday night was the first time all season I watched a Celtics game and thought they really missed James Posey. When Kevin Garnett fouled out, it would have been the perfect opportunity for Boston to go small, put in another shooter and get some floor spacing. Instead, Doc Rivers turned to Glen Davis. The announcers reacted with some surprise that he went to Davis instead of Leon Powe, and so did I -- Powe had a monster game while Davis was off, and those performances were reflective of their seasons to date. Davis shot 1-for-8 and was a game-worst minus-13 in plus/minus, but Powe would have created some problems, too. It would have given Boston three non-shooters on the floor and put the defensively challenged Powe in a bad matchup against Lamar Odom.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Bulls join Cavs in Love trade push
- Clips CEO: Doc desires exit if Sterling stays
- Bulls officially sign Brooks to boost bench
- Nets sign Bogdanovic to three-year contract