Hollinger's Insider Gems: Feb. 2, 2009
John Hollinger gives us five observations for Monday.
1. One thing that kept coming up in the past two Pistons games, both of which were nationally televised, was whether Allen Iverson is still a superstar player capable of carrying a team on his back. The announcers kept saying yes, which surprised me because the answer seems to me to be rather obviously no.
Iverson's production had been in steady decline since he got to Denver, so what's happened in Detroit is only a continuation of that. Not only have Iverson's usage rate and player efficiency rating been dropping the past four seasons, but so have the stats that don't depend on being fed the ball -- for example, his steals and, until this season, his rebound rate.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Mavs rule Rondo out vs. Wolves
- Wolves coach upset by spoof of Love return
- Sources: Rockets fear Howard out for 'weeks'
- Hawks survive Sixers scare; streak now at 19