Hollinger's Insider Gems: Feb. 2, 2009
John Hollinger gives us five observations for Monday.
1. One thing that kept coming up in the past two Pistons games, both of which were nationally televised, was whether Allen Iverson is still a superstar player capable of carrying a team on his back. The announcers kept saying yes, which surprised me because the answer seems to me to be rather obviously no.
Iverson's production had been in steady decline since he got to Denver, so what's happened in Detroit is only a continuation of that. Not only have Iverson's usage rate and player efficiency rating been dropping the past four seasons, but so have the stats that don't depend on being fed the ball -- for example, his steals and, until this season, his rebound rate.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Rose sits out practice, expected to play Wed.
- Final Team USA cut could come by Thursday
- Veteran NBA ref Bavetta retires after 39 years
- Ex-Bucks coach Drew added to Cavs' staff