Hollinger's Insider Gems: Jan. 28, 2009
John Hollinger gives us five observations for Wednesday.
1. The bar is slowly dropping in the West. Whereas we once thought it would take a win total in the high 40s to qualify for the postseason, it appears something in the 44 area might be enough to get it done.
You can blame the recent struggles of Dallas, Phoenix and Utah for that. While the top six Western teams remain on target for 50 wins, according to the Playoff Odds, those three have fallen off the pace. Each is stuck on 25 wins, and while the odds still bet against Dallas the strongest, it appears one of this trio will be the unlucky No. 9 seed out West -- the top six each rate as better than a 95 percent chance to make the postseason.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kobe: Debut not really as 'bad as I thought'
- Kings get 'proven scorer' Gay from Raptors
- Williams, Pierce hope to return vs. Celtics
- Sources: Clips close in on ex-Spur Jackson
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NBA On ESPN.com
- GameWear Utah Jazz Team NBA Keychain