Hollinger's Insider Gems: Nov. 7, 2008
Five observations as we head into Friday night's games.
Updated: November 7, 2008, 1:56 PM ETBy John Hollinger | ESPN.com
1. Following up yesterday's item on adjusted game score, I had a few e-mails wondering how Kobe Bryant's 62-points-in-three-quarters game against Dallas didn't merit a spot in the top five. Turns out it only ranked 13th -- Bryant didn't have a single assist that night, and the game was the fastest-paced of any in the top 30, both of which hurt his score. 2. I should also point out the difference between per-game and per-minute ratings. AGS is per game, so Kobe doesn't get any extra credit for racking up his numbers in just 32 minutes. On a per-minute basis, however, it ranks third (using a 25-minute limit). His 81-point performance, surprisingly, was only second. And No. 1? This forgotten gem by Gilbert Arenas against the Knicks in 2006 -- he scored 46 points in 30 minutes, taking only 16 shots, and had four steals against one turnover.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- LeBron rescues Heat with OT winner in Game 1
- Source: Carmelo has small tear in shoulder
- Spurs' Parker getting MRI on ailing left calf
- Jackson: Told by GM of D'Antoni, 'I laughed'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Hollinger's PER Diem
Want a deeper look into all of the latest NBA action? Check out John Hollinger's new daily column -- full of analysis, observations and more -- every Monday through Friday.
Jan. 13, 2009• PER Diem: Lakers-Rockets injury battle
• Insider: OKC's problems
Jan. 12, 2009• PER Diem: Magic join top ranks
• Insider: Portland travel problems
Jan. 9, 2009• PER Diem: Billups stealing the spotlight
• Insider: A can't miss game
Jan. 8, 2009• PER Diem: Sixers young spark
• Insider: Wolves continue to sizzle
Jan. 7, 2009• PER Diem: Boston's bench problem
• Insider: Miles won't wait too long
Jan. 6, 2009• PER Diem: Nuggets under luxury-tax line
• Insider: Tense few days for some teams
Jan. 5, 2009• PER Diem: Bucks, Pistons Ranking debate
• Insider: T-Mac's blatant mail-in job
Dec. 31, 2008• PER Diem: Spurs' playoff forecast
• Insider: Calderon's free-throw feat?
Dec. 30, 2008• PER Diem: The Year of the Great Divide
• Insider: Rip with a new role?
Dec. 29, 2008• PER Diem: Battle for top spot
• Insider: Portland's top offense
Dec. 24, 2008• PER Diem: The Good Bynum
• Insider: Passing of torch
Dec. 23, 2008• PER Diem: Magic near top crust
• Insider: O.J. making run at Rose
Dec. 22, 2008• PER Diem: Tough Sunday for Pistons
• Insider: Crisis mode for Raptors
Dec. 19, 2008• PER Diem: Orlando's lack of credit on D
• Insider: A big story up north
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 16 | 17 18
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 24 | 25 | 26
28 | 29 | 30 | 31