Hollinger's Insider Gems: Nov. 14, 2008
Five observations as we head into Friday night's games.
Updated: November 14, 2008, 2:24 PM ETBy John Hollinger | ESPN.com
1. I realize the luxury tax savings are potentially enormous, but man, the Nuggets sure could have used Antonio McDyess last night. During the late third and early fourth quarters, the Nuggets' guards were beaten off the dribble multiple times, and each time they were able to finish at the rim with ease. The reason was simple: Denver didn't have a big man. I don't mean they lacked a good big man; I mean they were playing without one at all. Denver used a lineup in which the "frontcourt," if you can call it that, consisted of small forwards Renaldo Balkman and Linas Kleiza. With Kenyon Martin and Nene the only two bigs on the roster that coach George Karl trusts, the smaller look is one we're likely to see frequently from the Nuggets this season unless they can somehow work a deal for a quality big man while staying under the tax.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lakers' Nash out for season with back injury
- Buss: Only 'losers' afraid to play with Kobe
- J.R. Smith: Triangle adjustment 'a struggle'
- LeBron mural to be unveiled before opener
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Hollinger's PER Diem
Want a deeper look into all of the latest NBA action? Check out John Hollinger's new daily column -- full of analysis, observations and more -- every Monday through Friday.
Jan. 13, 2009• PER Diem: Lakers-Rockets injury battle
• Insider: OKC's problems
Jan. 12, 2009• PER Diem: Magic join top ranks
• Insider: Portland travel problems
Jan. 9, 2009• PER Diem: Billups stealing the spotlight
• Insider: A can't miss game
Jan. 8, 2009• PER Diem: Sixers young spark
• Insider: Wolves continue to sizzle
Jan. 7, 2009• PER Diem: Boston's bench problem
• Insider: Miles won't wait too long
Jan. 6, 2009• PER Diem: Nuggets under luxury-tax line
• Insider: Tense few days for some teams
Jan. 5, 2009• PER Diem: Bucks, Pistons Ranking debate
• Insider: T-Mac's blatant mail-in job
Dec. 31, 2008• PER Diem: Spurs' playoff forecast
• Insider: Calderon's free-throw feat?
Dec. 30, 2008• PER Diem: The Year of the Great Divide
• Insider: Rip with a new role?
Dec. 29, 2008• PER Diem: Battle for top spot
• Insider: Portland's top offense
Dec. 24, 2008• PER Diem: The Good Bynum
• Insider: Passing of torch
Dec. 23, 2008• PER Diem: Magic near top crust
• Insider: O.J. making run at Rose
Dec. 22, 2008• PER Diem: Tough Sunday for Pistons
• Insider: Crisis mode for Raptors
Dec. 19, 2008• PER Diem: Orlando's lack of credit on D
• Insider: A big story up north
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 16 | 17 18
3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 24 | 25 | 26
28 | 29 | 30 | 31