Why the Mavs better win now
Dallas must capitalize on this run, because age and the salary cap are looming issues
Thanks to a sweep of the Lakers, the Dallas Mavericks have excused themselves from that conversation -- or at least postponed it. The Mavericks have exhibited the sense of urgency the Spurs and Lakers may have lacked.
But this could be because the Mavericks know that, unless they win it all this year, they'll be joining the Spurs and Lakers at the dissection table. This is their best shot at a championship, and they know their window is closing. Consider the evidence:
To read Tom Haberstroh's full take onthe Mavs, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Gasol, Griz overcome Spurs in 3OT thriller
- Sources: Celtics, Mavs talking Rondo trade
- Hawks send Cavaliers to 'embarrassing' loss
- Harden plays spoiler in overtime at Denver
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Starring Woes
- Former running mates LeBron James and Dwyane Wade shared in frustration Wednesday with their teams' plights.