Could Embiid suffer Yao's fate?
Indeed, the history of big men with foot problems is somewhat foreboding, as Kevin Pelton indicates, but I believe Embiid still will be able to a fruitful NBA career after undergoing surgery on Friday.
Having served as one of the Houston Rockets' team physicians from 2006-10, I am very familiar with this injury. During that time, Rockets All-Star center Yao Ming was plagued by fractures of his left foot's navicular bone. So I saw firsthand the problems that can arise from this injury. Embiid's news certainly conjures visions of a hobbled big man such as Yao, but Yao's fate isn't necessarily what awaits Embiid.
To see the rest of Dr. Mark Adickes' reaction to the Joel Embiid injury, become an ESPN Insider.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Taylor apologizes, will not appeal NBA ban
- LeBron on start: 'I got to do a better job'
- Rockets' Howard to miss third straight game
- Pelicans' Gordon (shoulder) out indefinitely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Exploring 'Black Planet'
- David Shields, author of "Black Planet," talks about the film version.