2013 Mavericks NBA draft guide
Breaking down Dallas' draft profile and potential picks this year
- Danny Bollinger/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe window of contention for Dallas and Dirk Nowitzki is closing rapidly.
NBA Insiders Amin Elhassan and Bradford Doolittle break down the draft profile, needs and potential picks of the 14 teams eligible for the NBA draft lottery this year. With some help from Chad Ford's Big Board of top-30 prospects, we take a look at the Dallas Mavericks.
Personnel needs: playmaking PG, SG or C
Major need: Mark Cuban constructed this year's Mavericks roster to be lean and flexible, and the first step in Dallas' offseason makeover will be figuring out what to do with its first lottery pick since 2000. The veteran talent base is in place, for a couple of more years at least. But Dallas must first improve upon its No. 20 ranking in defensive efficiency. The Mavericks were weak on the defensive glass and had among the poorest transition defenses in the league. Dallas allowed 1.22 points per transition opportunity after turnovers, undermining Rick Carlisle's strategy to avoid sending guys to the offensive glass.
To read more of the Dallas Mavericks' 2013 NBA draft guide, become an Insider today
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Source: Phil considers Knicks front-office job
- Cavs honor 'terrific human being' Ilgauskas
- Sources: Lakers not ready to fire D'Antoni
- Bucks' Mayo banned 1 game for hit to throat
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Dallas Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki #41 Revolution 30 Replica White Basketball Jersey