Seattle's new catcher excels at the plate but not yet behind it
JESUS MONTERO IS IN PAIN. Early one morning during Seattle's spring training, a Mariners coach has been pelting baseballs at the 22-year-old catcher -- the latest of which has taken a tricky bounce into Montero's left wrist. He tries to shake away the sting, but he can't shake the fact that his new team isn't celebrating his acquisition because of his defense. The Mariners love what comes after he sheds his mask, shin guards and chest protector for batting practice, where the righty proceeds to hit moon shot after moon shot, many over the rightfield wall.
To read more about Montero as a Mariner, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Padres keep dealing, get J. Upton
- Yankees trade Prado to Miami, get P Eovaldi
- Giants fill Sandoval hole, trade for McGehee
- Report: Dodgers pass Yanks in owing most tax
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Seattle Mariners 9forty Pinch Hitter Navy Adjustable Hat