The underrated Billy Butler
If the Royals are really shopping him, he's a great fit in Baltimore
- Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty ImagesSome are down on Billy Butler because his home run total dropped, but he's still valuable.
Expectations were high for the Kansas City Royals entering 2013, and while they didn't reach the playoffs, there was a lot to be excited about.
Where the club fell short, however, was on offense. Young players like Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas and Alcides Escobar took steps back after showing potential the year before. More unexpected was the falloff of Billy Butler, and ESPN Insider Buster Olney recently tweeted that the Royals are willing to trade Butler.
This would be a mistake because the Royals would be selling low on a player who is now underrated. But if they do trade him, there is one AL East team that is a perfect fit.
To see why Butler is underrated and which AL team should target him, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
- Report: D-backs, Perez agree to $4.25M deal
- Nats' Fister held out with elbow inflammation
- Padres' Maybin to avoid surgery on biceps
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Kansas City Royals Billy Butler #16 Alternate Light Blue Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog