Finding this year's Bill Buckner
The five players most likely to make a major defensive miscue this October
- AP Photo/Matt YorkYasiel Puig is a spectacular defender who also makes a lot of bad decisions.It's been 27 years since it happened, but there is no postseason defensive blunder more famous than the ball going through Bill Buckner's legs in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The thing is, the Red Sox shouldn't have been surprised. After all, they had used a late-game defensive replacement for Buckner for much of that postseason, so they had to know he was a liability.
With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to try and see who is most likely to be this year's "Bill Buckner," the player most likely to make an untimely defensive mistake.
The two major criteria for a play like Buckner's are high-leverage situations and fielders with a tendency to make mistakes. The unpredictability of the former is what makes the playoffs so great. The latter is somewhat predictable based on the frequency of mistakes fielders have made in the regular season. Here are five players we're keeping an eye on entering postseason play.
For a full list of the players most likely to be this year's Buckner, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves' Medlen leaves with strained forearm
- Dodgers' Kershaw, Ryu to start in Australia
- Cardinals sign star Cuban shortstop Diaz
- Reds hopeful Latos can return in first week
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Pittsburgh Pirates Pedro Alvarez #24 Home White Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog