Peralta a worthwhile gamble in left
Tigers are smart to give career infielder a shot in outfield
At the trade deadline in July, the Tigers traded for Jose Iglesias to replace Peralta at shortstop as Peralta began a 50-game performance-enhancing drug suspension. Since then, Iglesias has impressed his new employers enough to entrench himself at the position.
With all the other infield positions locked up by players who are performing well (or are immovable), the Tigers are going to see if Peralta can handle left field, one of the team's least productive positions.
Peralta has never played the outfield before, but the history of players making similar switches suggests this is worth trying.
To read about why it's worth it for the Tigers to try Peralta in left, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica St. Louis Cardinals Jhonny Peralta #27 Home White Jersey