AL's 5 most crucial players
The American League's two wild-card spots will hinge on this quintet
The race for the two wild-card berths in the American League has been chaotic, with six teams battling for them. As the Red Sox and A's have pulled away in their respective division races, we at least have clarity on which teams are vying for what spot.
But those six teams remain bunched tightly in the ESPN Power Rankings -- from the ninth-ranked Rays to the 15th-ranked Royals -- and it's still anyone's game. There will be plenty of heroes and goats, successes and failures in the final two weeks, but these five players in particular should play a larger role than others in shaping the fortunes of their team.
For a full breakdown of the AL's five most crucial players, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- Majestic Men's Cleveland Indians Ubaldo Jimenez #30 Alternate Ivory Replica Jersey