Royals' deficit larger than it looks
Math says that Kansas City's 3½-game wild-card deficit is insurmountable
That strong play continued this past weekend, with the Royals taking two of three games against the division-leading Detroit Tigers. After Sunday's games, the Royals stand just 3½ games behind the Tampa Bay Rays for the AL's second wild-card spot. Yet the Royals remain a huge underdog thanks to that inveterate annihilator of dreams, math.
To see why you can all but eliminate the Royals for playoff discussion, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- '47 Brand Women's Kansas City Royals Off Campus Scoop Royal T-Shirt