Royals' deficit larger than it looks
Math says that Kansas City's 3½-game wild-card deficit is insurmountable
That strong play continued this past weekend, with the Royals taking two of three games against the division-leading Detroit Tigers. After Sunday's games, the Royals stand just 3½ games behind the Tampa Bay Rays for the AL's second wild-card spot. Yet the Royals remain a huge underdog thanks to that inveterate annihilator of dreams, math.
To see why you can all but eliminate the Royals for playoff discussion, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Kansas City Royals Winning Hit Royal T-Shirt