Matheny costing Cards the division
The manager's poor tactics are why St. Louis may not catch Pittsburgh
The St. Louis Cardinals have been in a bit of a free fall lately. After being ranked No. 1 in the ESPN Power Rankings for most of June and July, they dropped to fifth to begin August, and this week they find themselves ranked eighth -- which is their lowest rank since April. The Cards are in second place in the NL Central. Looking at their plus-140 run differential, their slump is a little hard to figure. Only the Tigers have a better run differential.
But just like last year, St. Louis has played poorly in close games, which is a problem the first-place Pirates have not had. At a certain point, this underperformance has to fall on manager Mike Matheny.
To see why the Cardinals' recent struggles are due to manager Mike Matheny, sign up for Insider today.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Price, Rays prevail with rally over Red Sox
- Lester: I'd re-sign with Sox even if traded
- Puig, Dodgers go on triple spree, rout Giants
- Davis homers in 10th as Orioles edge Mariners
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's St. Louis Cardinals Blue V-Neck Scrum T-Shirt