Deadline's impact on playoff odds
Overshadowed by the looming Biogenesis suspensions, the 2013 trade deadline will go down as one of the quieter deadlines, with more rumors flying around than completed transactions. Although there no doubt will be trades in the month of August, the waiver rules guarantee that the possible names will generally be less exciting.
When going down the teams that helped or hurt their playoff odds, it's hard not to most notice the missed opportunities all around the league, with many teams doing little or nothing to improve either their short-term or long-term prospects. For each team, I've had ZiPS calculate the rest-of-season playoff odds (as of Thursday morning) for the current rosters and the rosters as constituted before July's trades.
(For a complete look at how much each contender helped or hurt its playoff odds at the deadline, check out the table at the bottom.)
To read more from Dan Szymborski on trade deadline winners and losers, sign up for insider today.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Angels won't limit ace Richards' workload
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Baltimore Orioles Grey Authentic Collection "Property Of" Performance Hoodie