Five NL trades that must happen
Cliff Lee to the Pittsburgh Pirates? It's one proposal on the table
With the All-Star Game behind us, the focus in baseball now turns to the next big event of the season, the July 31 deadline to trade players without having to pass them through waivers. Unlike in some other sports, a lot frequently happens at the trade deadline, and any big name on a weak team can find his way into a new uniform.
Given baseball's seemingly interminable wait to resume after the All-Star break, what better time to bring out the what-if machine? Here's a look at five trades featuring National League "buyers" that make too much sense not to happen.
To read more on NL trades that should happen, sign up for ESPN Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- M's GM in defense: 'We've never deviated'
- Maddon: Rays must be ready for Price trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MLB ON ESPN.COM
The Red Sox rebounded from a tough loss to clinch a spot in the ALCS.
- The Highland Mint Chase Utley Philadelphia Phillies Triple Play Photo Display