Be wary of the Athletics
Oakland's record is misleading due to number of wins against bad teams
The Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees finish up a three-game series on Thursday, and it's one that some might label as a "potential playoff preview." Both teams made last year's tournament and, through two-plus months of the season, are positioned to attend this year's dance with the American League's second- and fourth-best records.
The middle of June is when small-sample-size concerns dissipate, to a degree. Everyday players march toward 300 plate appearances, while teams near the halfway point. But there is still plenty of noise in mid-June numbers, and the noise is ominous for the A's: When considered against their schedule thus far, the A's have yet to prove they're an elite AL team.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Minaya leaves Padres to be MLBPA adviser
- Braves agree to deal with Cuban OF Toscano
- Cubs fans flock to statue, remember Banks
- Reports: Nats sign ex-Jays closer Janssen
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's New York Mets Cooperstown Washed Logo Scoop Neck Royal T-shirt