Five breakout hitters
Using batted ball data to predict which hitters will surge in 2013
The sabermetric movement has made great strides over the past decade, but every once in a while, we're reminded of how little we actually understand about the game of baseball. Jose Bautista's breakout 2010 season was one such reminder of how bad we are at predicting future performance. How can a hitter come from complete obscurity to hit 50 home runs in a season?
Turns out, something hinted at that breakout in 2009, and we can use that information to predict breakout seasons for 2013.
For the full list of breakout hitters, become an Insider today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Atlanta Braves Freddie Freeman #5 Alternate Ivory Replica Jersey